The Village of Hinckley has a rich and proud history. In the 1830’s, a Mr. Hollenbeck (who lived near Ottawa) was traveling the then-unsettled territory. He found a fine grove of trees west of the present-day Hinckley, and named the grove after the squaws who were tending camp.
In the spring of 1835, John Sebree built a log house. The next year saw more families come to the area, and soon a small town was started at the west edge of what is now Hinckley. The town’s name was Squaw Grove.
In the 1870s, the rail line was placed one-half mile east of the Village of Squaw Grove, which was then named Hinckley, after Francis Hinckley, president of the Chicago and Iowa Railroad.
As Hinckley moves forward, it may have a new look, but the spirit of good citizenship and village pride has not changed. Hinckley has a proud past and a bright future.
SITES & BUILDINGS
ECONOMIC PROFILE PAGES