Kish reminds students to fill out the FAFSA during Financial Aid Awareness Month
February is Financial Aid Awareness Month and Kishwaukee College is reminding students there is still time to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Filing the FAFSA is the first step in determining what federal or state financial aid a student is eligible for, including grants and loans. Illinois now requires by law that all high school students complete the FAFSA as a prerequisite to receiving their diploma.
The 2021-2022 FAFSA application period opened in October and is ongoing. It will determine financial aid for students during the Fall 2021, Spring 2022, and Summer 2022 semesters.
A student’s financial aid is determined by their family’s ability to pay for college. Additional funds may be available based on other merits such as academic ability, athletic talent, or other skills. There are many different forms of financial aid students can qualify for, including:
- Grants — A form of financial aid that does not have to be paid back. Various federal and state grants are available.
- Scholarships — Students can earn free money based on academic merits, talents, or other skills.
- Work-Study Jobs — Students work a part-time job to pay for school through the Federal Work-Study Program.
- Loans — Loans are borrowed money students will need to repay with interest.
- Military Aid — Members of the military and their families can qualify for additional aid programs for their service.
People filing FAFSA for the first time should visit http://fsaid.ed.gov/ to create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID), which will be required to submit the FAFSA electronically. For dependent students, at least one parent will also need to complete the FSA ID. Students and parents should have on hand their 2019 tax return and income information, their social security numbers, and driver’s license/state ID or alien registration card.
To learn more about the financial aid process or to receive FAFSA assistance, contact Kish’s Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or visit kish.edu/financialaid.