Northwestern Medicine continues to be grateful for the outstanding level of support we have received from our community. Our caregivers have been exceptionally well supported with food, tributes, and countless other kind gestures. Our healthcare workforce has been heartened and energized by your support and we are deeply grateful for the encouragement. Thank you so much!
Consistent with the State’s Restore Illinois plan, Northwestern Medicine has begun rescheduling treatment for patients whose care had been postponed, and for whom further delay in care would be medically inadvisable.
Hospital Safety Measures Set in Place
As we welcome patients back to our facilities, we recognize that you may feel concerned about exposure to COVID-19. The health and safety of our patients, physicians, and workforce remain our top priority, and we have undertaken extensive steps to ensure a safe environment. These steps include:
• Entry Screening Procedures: Any person entering the hospital, whether staff or patient, will be screened for fever and asked about COVID-19 symptoms. Those with symptoms will be triaged for care or asked to return home. Masks and hand sanitizer are available at all entry points.
• Universal Masking: With the exception of patients in their hospital rooms, every person is required to wear a mask while in the hospital buildings.
• Testing: Patients undergoing surgeries or procedures will undergo testing for COVID prior to arrival.
• Disinfecting: Our Environmental Services teams continue to perform rigorous cleaning of our facilities, including frequent disinfecting of high-touch surfaces. Exam rooms are fully disinfected after each patient. Magazines and other materials that cannot be cleaned properly have been removed from waiting areas.
• Promoting Physical Distancing: Seating areas have been modified to reduce the amount of furniture and allow for physical distancing, and elevator use will be restricted to two people. Signage has been placed throughout the hospital buildings to signify appropriate physical distancing.
• Separate Areas for Patients with COVID Symptoms: Testing of patients with flu or COVID symptoms are conducted in safe, designated locations.
For current and complete information on safety and accessing care, please visit our website:https://www.nm.org/patients-and-visitors/patient-safety-during-covid-19
Telehealth and In-Person Care
We continue to respond to the important ongoing healthcare needs of our community. We are offering phone, video chat, and e-visit options to enable patients to receive many types of care during this time. In the coming weeks, we will be reopening more patient care services in our hospital and outpatient areas. A multidisciplinary team of physicians and staff will coordinate this process in a gradual, thoughtful way. Each patient will be evaluated for the appropriate type of visit: in-person or by phone/video chat.
Testing for COVID-19 and for antibodies is available for patients meeting certain age, risk factors, and symptom criteria with a physician’s order. Individuals should discuss testing options with their physicians.
Other COVID-19 Information
Northwestern Medicine is proud to serve the community as a trusted source for accurate information regarding COVID-19. Please visit https://www.nm.org/ for up-to-date information.